FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 26, 2015
MEDIA CONTACTS: Carole Trottere, Ryan Mulholland, Sam Marksheid, and Rebecca Cheng | (516) 869-7794
Town Board Round Up: Board Once Again Sets Date for Budget Vote before Election Day
North Hempstead, NY –Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board unanimously approved a resolution setting the date for a vote on the 2016 budget for October 29, prior to Election Day on November 3. This is the second consecutive year that the Town Board will be voting on the Town’s budget before Election Day, a promise that Supervisor Bosworth made last year in order to promote openness and transparency in the budget process. The Board also approved a budget hearing date for October 13.
“I have always emphasized process, procedure and transparency as the best means by which we can ensure openness and integrity in government and I believe that taxpayers deserve to know what the Town’s final budget is prior to Election Day,” said Supervisor Bosworth. “I am committed to having the budget vote before Election Day as long as I am Supervisor.”
Also approved at the meeting:
- The appointment of Averil Smith to the position of Town Comptroller. Smith is a Certified Public Accountant, with more than 23 years of financial experience in the private sector.
- The setting of a September 29 hearing date to consider a local law to protect property and native plants from the damaging spread of bamboo by regulating existing bamboo and prohibiting the planting of new bamboo with the Town.
- The acceptance of a $4,800 gift from the Fanny Dwight Clark Memorial Garden, Inc. for the purpose of servicing the Clark Botanic Garden pond to remove algae.
- The submission of a $260,000 grant application to the U.S. National Parks Service Maritime Heritage Grant Program for the Stepping Stones Lighthouse.
- The Board also approved a grant application to the New York State Environmental Facilities Corporation under the Water Infrastructure Improvement Act Clean Water Grant which would be used to fund sewers for North Hempstead Beach Park.
The next meeting of the Town Board will be held on September 29 at 7:30 p.m.
Have you tuned into North Hempstead TV lately? View all of our great programming on Channels 18 or 63 on Cablevision or Channel 46 on Verizon, or visit www.myNHTV.com or www.youtube.com/townofnorthhempstead.