FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: June 4, 2014
MEDIA CONTACTS: Carole Trottere, Ryan Mulholland, Sam Marksheid, and Rebecca Cheng | (516) 869-7794
Town Officials Urge to Keep Summer Safe With Pool Safety Precautions
North Hempstead, NY – Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board remind residents with school coming to a close and summer vacation quickly approaching, pool safety precautions should be taken when using a pool at a Town facility or your own at home.
“It is so important for individuals and families to be aware of pool and water safety tips this summer,” said Supervisor Judi Bosworth. “We want to make sure that all our residents are safe and follow the necessary rules and guidelines when they install and maintain their pools.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about one in five people who die from drowning are children 14 and younger.
Supervisor Bosworth also is encouraging parents to teach their children to swim. “Children are never too young to be taught safety rules, or to receive swimming lessons. Teaching children to swim at a young age gives them the foundation for becoming skilled swimmers.”
Pool Safety Tips from the Town of North Hempstead
- Never leave a child unsupervised or unattended while near a pool.
- Remove all toys from the pool after use so children aren’t tempted to reach for them
- You must put up a fence to separate your house from the pool. The Town requires the installation of a fence at least 6 feet high around all sides of the pool, as well as the use of self-closing and self-latching gates that secure from the inside.
- Practice touch supervision with children younger than 5 years. This means that the adult is within an arm’s length of the child at all times.
- After use, securely close the pool.
- Keep rescue equipment and a phone near the pool.
- Never use a pool with its pool cover partially in place, since children may become entrapped under it. Remove the cover completely.
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The Town of North Hempstead offers CPR training and certification courses to all residents multiple times per year. The town sponsors the training courses with the National Safety Council Adult and Pediatric CPR and AED. Training and certification courses are held at Town Hall.
For more information call 311 or visit: 2014 Pool and Summer Programs.
Town of North Hempstead lifeguards will be on duty all summer long at Town pools.