FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: December 4, 2015
MEDIA CONTACTS: Carole Trottere, Ryan Mulholland, Sam Marksheid, and Rebecca Cheng | (516) 869-7794
Town Offers Tips on Holiday Fire Safety
North Hempstead, NY – With the holidays approaching, Town of North Hempstead Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board are raising awareness about fire safety this holiday season. They would like residents to be mindful of several tips to keep their families safe during the holidays.
“This time of year is a joyous opportunity to celebrate and gather with family and friends. However, it is important for residents to be aware that fires can result from electrical problems and candles that might be used for holiday decorations,” said Supervisor Judi Bosworth.
Here are some tips on how to prevent home fires this holiday season from the National Fire Protection Association:
For more information please call 311 or 516-869-6311.
- Make sure that all artificial trees are flame resistant.
- Keep natural trees well-watered. Dried out trees are fire hazards; the drier they become, the more susceptible they are to catching fire.
- Avoid placing lit candles near the tree or decorations.
- Remove malfunctioning holiday lights from your tree.
- Keep trees away from a heat source.