FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 26, 2023
MEDIA CONTACTS: Gordon Tepper, Rebecca Cheng and Michael Anderson | (516) 869-7794
North Hempstead Offers Cooling Centers and Extended Pool Hours to Combat Heat Wave
North Hempstead, NY – With a heatwave and high humidity predicted for our area, the Town of North Hempstead has announced the immediate opening of cooling centers and extended pool hours across the Town this week to help residents stay cool, avoiding heat exhaustion. These facilities are equipped with air conditioning, cold water, and comfortable seating, providing a perfect escape from the scorching temperatures reaching the 90s.
The cooling centers will be open from Wednesday, July 26 to Friday, July 28. Locations include:
The “Yes We Can” Community Center (141 Garden Street, Westbury) – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Clinton G. Martin Park – Community Building (1601 Marcus Avenue, New Hyde Park) – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Additionally, all Town’s pool will have extended hours from Wednesday, July 26 to Friday, July 28:
Manorhaven Beach Park Pool (158 Manorhaven Boulevard., Port Washington) – open until 9 p.m.
Clinton G. Martin Park Pool (1601 Marcus Avenue, New Hyde Park) – open until 9 p.m.
Whitney Pond Park Pool (Community Drive, Manhasset) – open until 8 p.m.
Martin “Bunky” Reid Park Pool (Broadway and Urban Ave, Westbury) – open until 7 p.m.
The following tips may help you stay cool and comfortable all summer long:
• Stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
• Wear clothing that is light-colored, lightweight, loose, and absorbent. Cotton is a good choice.
• Eat fruits and vegetables to replace nutrients.
• Wear a wide brimmed hat when going outdoors.
• Take cool baths and shower once or twice a day.
• Limit caffeine and alcoholic drinks.
• Check the daily heat index in the newspaper to alert you to risk of heat related illness.
For more information, please call 311.