FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 2, 2020
MEDIA CONTACTS: Gordon Tepper, Rebecca Cheng, Matthew Leonenko and Michael Anderson | (516) 869-7794
Town Board Votes to Extend Building Permits and Waive Late Fees Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
North Hempstead, NY - Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board unanimously approved various building permit extensions, policy modifications, and the waiver of late fees, in an effort to assist residents during the current state of emergency. The resolution was passed at a special Town Board meeting on Monday, March 30.
"It is important that the Town of North Hempstead is taking the necessary steps to ensure a sense of stability in the lives of our residents during this pandemic," said Supervisor Bosworth. "I am grateful to the Town Board and the Building Department for temporarily modifying Building Department policies, which will provide much needed relief to our residents."
Below is a detailed list of the Building Department permit modifications passed at the March 30 meeting:
If you have additional questions, please call 516-869-6311 or 311.
- All building and plumbing permits issued between December 13, 2019 and March 13, 2020, which authorized the commencement of work to begin within three months, have been granted a 45-day extension from the end of the Town’s emergency declaration to commence work if the work has not yet been started.
- All building and plumbing permits issued between March 13, 2018 and March 13, 2020, which required a building project to be completed within two years from the date the permit was issued have been granted a 90-day extension from the end of the Town’s emergency declaration to complete the project.
- Applicants who were issued an omission letter between November 13, 2019 and March 13, 2020, which required a re-submission to the Building Department, have been granted a 90 day extension to respond to the letter.
- The Commissioner of the Building Department will waive the fee and re-issue any Notice of Disapproval issued on or after January 13, 2020 through the conclusion of the Town’s emergency declaration. This policy will continue to be in effect until 30 days after the conclusion of the emergency declaration.
- Late fees will not be charged for the renewal of a Public Assembly License that expired or will expire from March 13, 2020 through 30 days after the conclusion of the Town’s emergency declaration. Inspections will continue where necessary and will be required prior to the opening of business.
- Rental registration permits that have expired or will expire from March 13, 2020 through the conclusion of the Town’s emergency declaration have been granted a 30-day extension following the conclusion of the emergency declaration.
- The Building Commissioner will waive any late fee for any building permit, plumbing permit, sign permit or any other permit related to the Building Department that has expired or will expire from March 13, 2020 through 30 days following the conclusion of the Town’s emergency declaration.
- The time limitations for variances issued by the Board of Zoning and Appeals that have not obtained site plan approval, a special use permit, or a building permit, to develop the property that is the subject of the application for a variance, shall be tolled from March 13, 2020 through 90 days following the conclusion of the Town’s emergency declaration.