Our Government > Receiver of Taxes > Grievances and Assessment Concerns > Grievances and Assessment Concerns

The Receiver of Taxes Does Not Set Your Property Tax Assessment

But Can Help You Lower Your Taxes!


Charles Berman's 2019 Grievance Presentation Schedule:

We will review the property assessment and grievance processes, and explain how to fill out the grievance application (on paper or online). Staff members will be on hand with applications for your convenience. Please bring your 2020-2021 Notice of Tentative Assessment issued by the Nassau County Department of Assessment available at www.mynassauproperty.com starting January 2, 2019 (Taxable Status Date).  You have the right to appeal your property's annual assessment with the Assessment Review Commission (ARC).  You are not required to hire an attorney to file a grievance; property owners may file on their own with a simple paper application or online with ARC.  There is no fee directly with ARC during the filing period.

(Days and times subject to change without notice, please call the Tax Office at 516-869-7800 for the most up-to-date information)

Tuesday, January 15, 2:00 - 4:00pm at Mineola Memorial Library (195 Marcellus Rd, Mineola 11501)

Wednesday, January 16, 7:30 - 9:30pm at Lakeville Civic Group (Located at the Firehouse one block south of Union Tpke off of Lakeville Rd. 2nd Floor of the Firehouse. Handicap accessible (elevator))

Wednesday, January 23, 1:00 - 3:00pm at Bryant Library (2 Paper Mill Rd, Roslyn 11576)

Tuesday, January 29, 6:30 - 8:30pm at Westbury Library (445 Jefferson St, Westbury 11590)

Thursday, January 31, 7:00 - 9:00pm at the Great Neck House (14 Arrandale Ave, Great Neck 11024)

Tuesday, February 5, 7:00 - 9:00pm at Hillside Public Library (155 Lakeville Rd, New Hyde Park 11040)

Wednesday, February 6, 7:00 - 9:00pm at East Hills Village Hall (209 Harbor Hill Rd, Roslyn 11576)

Wednesday, February 13, 7:00 - 9:00pm at North Shore Sephardic Synagogue (130 Cuttermill Rd, Great Neck 11021)

Tuesday, February 19, 2:00 - 4:00pm at Hillside Public Library (155 Lakeville Rd, New Hyde Park 11040)


Wednesday, February 20, 7:00 - 9:00pm at Shelter Rock Public Library (165 Searingtown Rd, Albertson 11507)

Thursday, February 28, 7:00 - 9:00pm at Manhasset Library (30 Onderdonk Ave, Manhasset 11030)



In 2018, the Nassau County Executive ordered the reassessment of every property within the County’s jurisdiction.  Your property taxes are based on the value (assessment) of your home; therefore, the County Executive’s reassessment project could significantly impact the amount you pay in property taxes.

Using various methods, the Nassau County Assessor has established updated market values for all properties.  These new values will be used when calculating your property taxes for the 2020/2021 tax roll.

The County Assessor has sent property owners an Assessment Disclosure Notice stating the updated market value estimate and preliminary tentative assessment for their properties.  This information is also available online on the Department of Assessment’s website at www.mynassauproperty.com  (enter parcel number or property address, click on “View Correspondence”, and select “511 Notice”).  Additionally, the Assessor has issued “Tax Impact Notices” (also viewable at www.mynassauproperty.com) to residential property owners.  These notices provide a comparison of your 2017/2018 actual taxes to an application of those same tax levies using your new preliminary assessments and hypothetical tax rates for 2020/2021.

Challenge and Lower Your Taxes

The new tentative assessment roll published by the Nassau County Department of Assessment on January 2, 2019 (Taxable Status Date) will be available online on their website (http://lrv.nassaucountyny.gov) on January 2nd.  Taxpayers have the right to challenge their property’s assessment every year by filing an application for correction with the Nassau County Assessment Review Commission (ARC) between January 2nd and March 1st.   ARC is an independent quasi-judicial body separate from the Department of Assessment.  You may file a property assessment grievance online at AROW (Assessment Review On the Web) or in person at the Assessment Review Commission (ARC) located at 240 Old Country Road in Mineola.  By filing online, you will get immediate confirmation that your appeal has been received.  If you do not have internet access, you may request that an Application for Correction of Assessment be mailed to you by calling ARC at 516-571-3214.  Town of North Hempstead residents may also obtain the 2020/2021 grievance application by calling 311 from within the Town or by coming into the Tax Office.

Reassessment has changed the way ARC will evaluate grievance applications.  When challenging your assessment, it is important to build the best case for lowering your assessment by providing data on comparable properties.  Use ARC’s online residential appeal system (AROW) sales locator tool to view recent sales of similar homes in your neighborhood and file an application to correct your property’s assessment.  There is no charge for filing an appeal. You are not required to hire an attorney and property owners may represent themselves.  However, if you do not know how to make a case using sales data, it would be advisable to hire a representative.   If you hired a representative to challenge a prior assessment, you are free to change representatives or to file on your own behalf.  You may also file an appeal with ARC if you applied to the Department of Assessment for an exemption and it was not granted, or if you feel your property’s class designation is incorrect.

Small Claims Assessment Review

The Assessment Review Commission is responsible for reviewing assessed valuations and making decisions on grievances during this period.  Owners who are not satisfied with the Assessment Review Commission's decision have the option to file a Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) petition to seek further review of their assessment.

Incorporated Villages

Incorporated villages within the Town of North Hempstead have the right to utilize their own assessments for village tax purposes, or they may choose to utilize the County’s assessment roll as a basis for their assessments.  If you live in an incorporated village, you must file separately to challenge your village assessment.  Contact your Village Assessor for information on how to challenge that assessment.