Our Government > Boards & Commissions > Veterans Advisory Committee > Veterans Advisory Committee
The Town of North Hempstead Veterans Advisory Committee (VAC)
The Town and the Veterans Advisory Committee arranged a donation drive for the Northport V.A. Hospital.
North Hempstead Town Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board re-established the Town's Veterans Advisory Committee (VAC) in June 2014. The VAC spans age, gender, geographic location and ethnicity.
This committee consists of veterans who represent various communities across the Town of North Hempstead, civic leaders that have been advocates for the veteran community and citizens that have expertise in veterans’ affairs. Each member is appointed by the Town Supervisor and serves at the discretion of the Town Supervisor. All positions on the advisory committee are volunteer.
The Town has 2 representatives who serve as liaisons to the VAC. They organize meetings for the VAC, create reports for the Town Board on the VAC's recommendations and the committee assists veterans. The liaisons will coordinate with Project Independence to help the committee in all activities that deal with aging veterans.
Important Contact Numbers:
Here are some important contact numbers for veterans:
- Nassau County Veterans Service Agency (including the agency’s transportation program): 572-6560
- VA Hospital in Northport: 631-261-4400
• VA New York Regional Office: 1-800-827-1000
- VA Life Insurance: 1-800-669-8477
- L.I. State Veterans Nursing Home: 631-444-8500
- U.S. Veterans Affairs- Veterans Resource Center: 516-348-0088
Here are important contact numbers during emergencies:
- Nassau County Department of Social Services: 516-227-8519; After Hours: 516-573-8626
- Long Island Crisis Counseling and Referral Center Hotline: 516-679-1111
- Nassau County Coalition Against Domestic Violence: 516-542-0404
- Nassau University Medical Center: 516-572-0123
- LI Coalition for the Homeless: 516-742-7770 ext. 13
Veterans Advisory Committee in the News:
Veterans Casework Seminar (July 18, 2014)
- Town of North Hempstead Declared Purple Heart Town (July 29, 2014)