Our Services > Veterans Advisory Committee > Veterans Advisory Committee
The Town of North Hempstead Veterans Advisory Committee (VAC)
North Hempstead's Veterans Advisory Committee
North Hempstead Town Supervisor Judi Bosworth and the Town Board re-established the Town's Veterans Advisory Committee (VAC) in June 2014. The VAC spans age, gender, geographic location and ethnicity.
This committee consists of veterans who represent various communities across the Town of North Hempstead, civic leaders that have been advocates for the veteran community and citizens that have expertise in veterans’ affairs. Each member is appointed by the Town Supervisor and serves at the discretion of the Town Supervisor. All positions on the advisory committee are volunteer.
The Town has 2 representatives who serve as liaisons to the VAC. They organize meetings for the VAC, create reports for the Town Board on the VAC's recommendations and the committee assists veterans. The liaisons will coordinate with Project Independence to help the committee in all activities that deal with aging veterans.
Click here for Veterans discounts offered in North Hempstead. If you know of any other businesses in the Town that offer discounts and are not on this list, please call 311. If you are a business interested in offering discounts, please fill out this application. For specific details on discounts, please call the business.
Northport VA Mobile Unit in North Hempstead!
Important Contact Numbers and Links:
Here are some important contact numbers for veterans:
Here are important contact numbers during emergencies:
Veterans Advisory Committee in the News:
- North Hempstead Hosts 9th Annual Veterans Breakfast (November 21, 2019)
- Town Waives Dog Adoption Fees for Veterans (October 22, 2019)
- North Hempstead to Host Sixth Annual Veterans Donation Drive (October 11, 2019)
- Bosworth Reminds Residents of Free Caseworker Services Available Exclusively to Town’s Veterans (March 26, 2019)
- North Hempstead to Host Fifth Annual Veterans Donation Drive (October 5, 2018)
- Reminder: Town Offers Casework Dedicated to Veterans Services (August 13, 2018)
- Senator Schumer Joins Supervisor to Advocate for Veterans Affairs Community-Based Outpatient Clinic in North Hempstead (July 20, 2018)
- Town Supervisor & Elected Officials Urge Federal Reps to Fund Veterans Affairs Community-Based Outpatient Clinic (July 11, 2018)
- Town Offers Free Parking for Military and Veterans for Town’s Memorial Day Weekend Fireworks (April 25, 2018)
- Supervisor Bosworth and Town Board Approve Free Parking for Active Military and Vets at Memorial Day Commemoration (April 18. 2018)
- Town Board Passes Veteran’s School Tax Exemption to Include Cold War Veterans (December 7, 2017)
- North Hempstead to Host Fourth Annual Veterans Donation Drive (October 23, 2017)
- Town Offers Free Parking for Veterans for Town’s Memorial Day Weekend Fireworks (May 17, 2017)
- Town Encouraging Businesses to Offer Veterans Discounts (December 9, 2016)
- Veteran’s School Tax Exemption to Include Cold War Veterans (November 1. 2016)
- North Hempstead Hosts 6th Annual Veterans Breakfast (October 20, 2016)
- North Hempstead to Host Third Annual Veterans Donation Drive (October 21, 2016)
- Town Continues to Offer Veterans Free Access to Caseworker Dedicated to Their Needs (July 20, 2016)
- Town Offers Free Parking for Veterans with Disabilities at Manorhaven and North Hempstead Beach Parks (July 5, 2016)
- North Hempstead moves to help younger veterans with case worker (November 4, 2015)
Bosworth Announces Appointment of Caseworker Dedicated Exclusively to Town’s Veterans (November 4, 2015)
- Town Wraps Up FunDay Monday Season with Salute to Vets (August 26, 2015)
- Supervisor Bosworth and Receiver of Taxes Berman Remind Vets of School Tax Exemption
(December 18, 2014)
- Town of North Hempstead Brings Holiday Joy with Donations to Northport VA (October 30, 2014)
North Hempstead Forms VAC and is Declared Purple Heart Town (June 5, 2014)
- FunDay Monday: Salute to Veterans (August 24, 2015)
- Town of North Hempstead Declared Purple Heart Town (July 29, 2014)
Veterans Casework Seminar (July 18, 2014)